Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What's for dinner?



Tonight my dinner was quite delicious, so I thought I would share it with you all. I didn’t have much in the fridge by way of vegetables, but I did cut up what I had and threw together to create a delicious attempt at tortilla soup.
Here is what I put in, but of course you could modify or add things. I probably would have done a few things different if I had more ingredients, but it is fun to experiment with what you have on hand :)
  1. 1 Tbs Olive Oil
  2. 1 large onion
  3. 1 red bell pepper
  4. 3 small radishes
  5. 2 medium carrots
  6. 1 can of corn
  7. 1 can of beans
  8. 1 cup of water
  9. 1 chicken bouillon cube
  10. 3 tbs sour cream
  11. 1 tbs red wine vinegar
  12. 2 tsp lemon pepper
  13. 1 tsp salt
  14. 5 cloves of garlic (I love Garlic) :)
  15. Topped off with a bit of grated cheese and some dry basil
Heat up the olive oil on medium heat, add the onions, then pepper, then carrots, followed by radishes, corn and beans. Add one cup of water using the bean can to measure is an easy way to do it. Add bouillon, sour cream, lemon pepper, salt and garlic. Let boil for about 5 minutes, let simmer for about 10 minutes. Then put in bowls and top with cheese and basil and voila! 
You are welcome to try it. It might have tasted better with some potatoes and some chicken, and possibly some fresh cilantro on top instead of basil, although the basil was surprisingly good. You could also add in some crushed tortilla chips. Sometimes I fry a little lavash (which is our equivalent to tortillas) and top it off with some of that, but I was trying to go healthy tonight. 
It was perfectly accompanied by a salad with a light lemony dressing. Now that is what I call a great impromptu dinner :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment