Saturday, December 17, 2011

A dear friend


It’s been two weeks now since our worlds seemed to be turned upside down by events that for a while we were unable to talk about, but when we were given the permission I just felt too tired to think about it, write about, share about it. And to be honest, I just didn’t know what to say, nothing can really sum up the way that this has affected us. But I will try nonetheless.
Also the fact that we had the responsibility of sharing this terrible news with so many people in our city left me with little energy to share with friends at home. Because of the sensitivity of the situation, for a few days when people asked how we were doing, we had to smile and say, “I am doing good.”  We would quickly ask them how they were doing and try to focus on their life.
It still doesn’t feel real. Even though I have told so many people about it, talked about it hundreds of times and turned it over and over in my mind even more times. I had trouble sleeping at first. I couldn’t believe the repercussions of this event, but as things were happening it all made sense.
On Friday December 2nd an American friend of ours, a 23-year-old young man, died under unknown circumstances.
I can’t share much else about the situation at this point, but I can say that we are not in any danger, we are just very sad. Mourning the loss of our young friend, at times wondering why, at times seeing a little light in the midst of a dark situation.
I know that Dad is stirring something in the young people here. It has been painful and difficult to try to focus on that. But I know that is the reality. It just seems confusing to me that he would allow so many of his workers in this city to be taken out of a place where the students are so hungry for the truth.
This young man was so special. He was outgoing and loving towards everyone that he met. He was always encouraging and filled with joy. After talking to many students about our friend, we have begun to see what an impact his life has had on them even though he was only here for a little over a year. I just wish he could have been here longer. In my selfishness, I even wish that we had had more time with him while he was here.
I try not to think too much in that way, to understand that Dad is always going to work things for the good of those who love Him. I have so much more peace now than I did before. I went through many feelings of anger and frustration, so many times asking “Why?” I know Dad is here, I have seen Him working, taking care of His people and giving us the strength to support our friend’s team and to do what is needed to help them in this black time.
I have felt devastated, distressed, depressed and downcast. I have wanted to scream, run away, wake up from this nightmare or just close my eyes and make it all go away.  I have felt supernatural peace and strength at times, even joy in realizing how precious life really is.
I am still processing this and thinking a lot about our friend’s team, who left shortly after his passing. We will dearly miss them all. Please be “thinking” about this group of young people whose lives were totally turned upside down by this event. Please also be “thinking” about his family, his mother & father and two younger brothers.
This Sunday, tomorrow, is the memorial service. We had our own service last Sunday with those who knew him here in our city. But our hearts are heavy as we think of our brothers and sisters who have been plucked from this work and sent back to America for some time to grieve the loss of their teammate and close friend. They will be able to attend the service tomorrow, but we know that there will be much heartache and tears. Please be “thinking” about them at this time.
I don’t know what else to say other than, this has probably been the most difficult two weeks of our time here. We have seen Dad’s sovereignty and peace in new ways, and we know that these are the times that we grow. We continue to feel sorrow about this, but with Dad’s strength we will persevere.  We just ask that you would “think” about us even more at this time, as it is a very difficult time. Thank you all so much for your love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment