Saturday, August 17, 2013

Bangkok



How great and scary it is to step into the unknown. Into a completely strange and foreign land. We live in such a beautifully diverse world and though I knew that before, I am strongly reminded of it now. 

When I was younger I had no desire to travel. I was fine with just staying in my home town forever. It is a great place after all and I had no problems with the thought of never leaving. 



But our Papa had other plans. Plans I could never have imagined. Ones I didn’t even realize that I would like. He showed me the taste for adventure that I never knew I had. The hunger to meet new people and see the complexity of the world outside of the box I was living in. 



There is nothing wrong with staying put, but that was not what he had for me, and for that I am grateful, because through it I have learned so much about myself and about others. 



Stepping into Bangkok was that indeed, another world. It’s a city, like any other, with high rises and wealth, yet streets lined with poverty, beggars and people just trying to make a buck or a baht in their case. 


Chaos bustling all around, mopeds flying by, pink taxis, tuk-tuks, sweaty muggy heat, dark skies one direction sunny skies the other. Tourists caught up in the mix, short shorts, flowing dresses, sandals, backpacks, cameras dangling, iphones at the ready, backpackers, serious travelers. 



Vendors selling flowers in bunches, strands and rings for temple gods, smell of incense lingers in the air. Women carrying baskets of flowers on their heads into the temple. 



Stepping outside I become part of the chaos. Vendors selling ripoffs, good ones and bad ones. Everything is so cheap. Sweat. Always. On everyone who isn’t sitting in an air conditioned vehicle. 




Exotic fruits. Some I’ve only seen in photos before. Fresh squeezed juice, ice cold and refreshing. Coconut juice served fresh, watch the lady chop of the top in seconds when you order it. impressive. Not my favorite, but interesting. 



Hungry for lunch. Local lady leads us to some plastic tables and serves us a noodle dish. Air condition = fan blowing in your face. 




After lunch they offer a boat tour. Air condition = locals fanning us with plastic boating expedition advertisements. We take the tour. 



Cruising and sometimes roaring down the river sipping on fresh squeezed mango juice. 



Feels a bit like a tropical Venice with houses built on stilts lining the water, bunches of leaves gathered up along the edges of the canal, giant coconuts in the water looking like floating heads. Our driver grunting every so often to get our attention as he points out something interesting. 



Yeah, our time in Bangkok went something like that littered with trips to temples, amazing and exotic food, souvenir shopping and the occasional Starbucks run. Sometime soon I'll tell you about our surprising time in Dolphin Bay. 





6 comments:

  1. I love how you described your time. So glad you are having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bethany :) It was such an awesome trip!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad that our Papa is giving you everything you need and sending you where He needs you.

    Blessing!
    Rachele

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered why you decided to take a trip to Bangkok! Looks like a really cool place. Thanks for taking us with you....just wish I could taste all the food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It was so awesome Katie! The food was amazing and I wish I could eat more of it! maybe someday we can meet there! It was such a great place ;)

      Delete