Saturday, February 19, 2011

Snow



The snow is falling lightly now, but it has been snowing for over 36 hours. I have never experienced this much snow in my life. I have never lived in the snow or even experienced a real winter. Last winter in our city we had a handful of freezing days and the snow was sparse. This winter didn’t really start until January, but it started and has not really stopped, granted the few crazy days that it felt like spring in between the abundant days of winter. I have been able to understand the beauty and the pain of winter this year. I felt the icy cold of mid winter last month as it dragged on through our winter break. I felt like there would be no end.
I realize that this seems a bit dramatic, but when you are from sunny southern California and you experience 15-20 freezing sunless days in a row, it can be quite depressing. Despite the charm and enchantment of snow and cold during the holiday season, winter can be drawn-out and fatiguing. It brings a weariness that I had never felt before.
With all that dramatically said, I can welcome the snow today, because it seems to be the beginning of the close of my first real winter. I somehow see the appeal now. I can understand the magnificence of G*d’s grace in this land of white covering all of the filth and grime of the city. The snow has transformed the city into a winsome fairy land and today I can say that I love the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment