Tuesday, January 21, 2014

15 Simple and cheap things that can turn your bad days around

I guess I have a lot of experience with this. Struggling with infertility these last three years has given me a reason to look to the brighter side and do things that help me from slipping into depression. So since it’s winter and I am sure more people out there also struggle with feeling down, here are 15 things that can help turn your days around. 

1. Make Something Beautiful 



Something for your home, something for a friend, anything! Usually when I am feeling depressed it helps me to change things up a bit in my living space, make life a little brighter, take this book shelf for example :) 


2. Make Yourself a Cup of Coffee, Tea or Hot Chocolate 




Sit and drink while just relaxing or reading a book. Sitting with a hot drink can feel like quite a luxury, sometimes I am not sure why I don’t do it more often ;) 

3. Bake



There have been so many days when I have come home super down and baking has been so therapeutic. This picture was snapped on a day when a little baking turned my afternoon around. 

4.Do Something Active



Go swimming, hiking, biking or even for a simple walk - doing something active always gives you a boost and it’s a plus if it’s outdoors, unfortunately for many of us this isn't an option. Oh how I miss you Southern California! 


5. Write Down Ten Things That You Are Grateful For in Your Life




Write them down and try to find pictures to match them, it will give you a visual reminder of how good these things really are. Even if you have to search the net to find them, you can always look back at that list on another difficult day to lift your spirits.  


6. Listen to Some Upbeat Music




I know that this sounds like a no brainer, but sometimes we forget the this is even an option and just sit at home feeling depressed with no soundtrack. Putting on some happy music can really make you feel different about life, I even do this when I am at work sometimes just sitting at my desk in a boring office can be depressing, but when you add music... By the way, I can’t recommend this album enough.

7. Go To a Cafe



Sit and enjoy a cup of coffee, just sit and read a book or even take your computer, I can’t stress enough how much it helps to get out of the house when you are feeling down. It’s just important to remind you that there is a world outside of your own mind sometimes. 

8. Look At Pictures 


From your last vacation, the last holiday that you celebrated or just life. If you are anything like me and take lots of photos, flipping through them can be a great visual reminder of how blessed you are with friends, family, food, vacations and the list goes on and on… 

9. Watch a Funny or Uplifting Movie



This is another no brainer, but before I started going through this difficult time, I was very disciplined about very rarely watching movies, when I started watching more movies, it really just helped me to escape. It can obviously be dangerous if we use any of these things to cheer us up too much, but these things in moderation can be really useful to battle depression. This is one that I often go to for cheering up. 

10. Call a Friend 



This one can actually hurt the situation if it’s not the right friend, but it’s good to know who you can call to cheer you up. Some friends just know how to bring our minds out of that dark space. 

11. Do What Excites You




Sometimes you just have to throw responsibility or obligation out the window and let yourself enjoy doing something that you love! If that is writing, do that! If it’s playing the guitar, go for it! Painting! Whatever it is, just do it! 

12. Review What Inspired You on Pinterest



I’m so serious about this one! We pin these things because they inspire or encourage us, why not let them do it again and again! I do this a lot and it really helps! Click here to view my truth board if you need some new inspiration. I also have one with scriptures that inspire me here. I also added a happy thoughts board which is filled with things that just make me smile :) 

13. Do Something for Someone Else 



This isn’t exactly something that you can do if you come home feeling upset, but it is something that you can start doing that will help you get perspective.  I have the wonderful opportunity of visiting the orphanage for disabled children once a month and hanging out with little guys like him :) 

14. Buy Yourself Some Flowers 



Put them on your dining table or in a place that you will see them often. 

15. Read a Book


Not only is it productive and brain food, but its also a source of entertainment, escape and inspiration at times. Just make sure it’s something uplifting or inspiring. Kisses from Katie was one of the most inspiring books that I have ever read.

Hopefully this list helps! Would love your feedback for more ideas :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment