Monday, January 6, 2014

Aal izz well...

I love movies. Especially when they promote happy thoughts. Seriously though. I don’t really like movies that leave me feeling depressed and empty or remind me too much of the terrible things that have happened or could happen. There is enough of that in my head already, I really don’t feel the need to be reminded. 


I do, however, need to be reminded of the good things that are happening. Which is why I usually stick with movies that do that very thing. That doesn’t mean that the movie doesn’t have sad moments. It just means that there is redemption to the sad parts of the movies, so much so that it makes you almost forget the tragic parts. 


I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the movie that I watched last night is one of the best movies I have ever seen! It consisted of all of my favorite aspects including musical numbers. You may have guessed it, this was in fact a “Bollywood” film. If you are not familiar with the term, its basically refers to the film industry based in Mumbai India, and these films pretty much always include singing and dancing. There are only a few dance numbers in this film including a song called "Aal izz well" which we can't get out of our heads. 


This is a film about three young men who are studying to be engineers at one of the most prestigious engineering universities in India. It’s filled with beautiful scenes of India, it was a great mix of tragedy and tenderness, as well as laugh out loud humor. I found myself angry at the villainy, then touched at the transformation that took place in some of the characters and even a little bit surprised at some of the subtle plot twists.

I really cannot recommend this movie enough. Curtis and I have been talking about it all day. We watched an hour long of behind the scenes and extras last night after finishing the film. (if you know Curtis, you know that this NEVER HAPPENS!) I hardly want to give it back to our friends who lent it to us, so that I can watch it again. If you have the chance, you should really try to get your hands on a copy of this film and please do let me know if you enjoy it :) 




2 comments:

  1. I love Bollywood films and will locate this pronto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I was pretty sure that you did! Didn't we watch a Bollywood film together once?

      Delete