Friday, January 16, 2015

First Week!


I have successfully completed my first full week as a stay at home mom! I was so scared of it, but it went amazingly well! Once I started relaxing and just going with the rhythm of my baby, it was so wonderful. I feel like I have fallen more in love with her this week and more in love with my new role. I have fully embraced this season of life and am so excited about what it continues to bring.

On Wednesday I wasn't totally feeling this way. Baby girl woke up at 7:30, when she usually wakes up at 8:30 or 9:00 and she just didn't want to nap, until she finally did at 11:00, relieved, I started a slow cooker meal. 15 minutes later she woke up very fussy and then since she wouldn't let me put her down without fussing after that, frustrated as I was, I carried her around in the boba until I was finished.



After that I tried to feed her again and get her down, but she just wasn't having it. I continued to just go with it. I wasn't doing it gracefully, I must admit. By almost 1:00 I decided to turn on a baby Mozart channel that Curtis found on youtube the night before, it had seemed to calm her then, so I gave it a try. Worked like a CHARM! She was in a daze, but still not falling asleep. She needed the finishing touch. Like the "good mom" that I am, I know she doesn't stay asleep long in her crib and I wanted her to get a good long nap. I knew the ONLY surefire way was her car seat. After two minutes of rocking she was asleep and stayed asleep for an hour and a half!


After that I had a good friend come over for lunch and we had a great talk about how being a mom is all about going with your intuition. What is right for your baby. It was so refreshing and really nice to just chat with a friend and hang out while she slept like a rock!

That was a turning point in my week. I finished that day feeling confident and excited about how much I accomplished despite "my plans" getting a little bit shaken up. I realized and continue to realize that with a baby, you can't always expect to get YOUR way.


Lastly, I read something really valuable this week that I want to be at the forefront of my parenting arsenal. That if something your child does is an inconvenience to you, it doesn't mean that what they did was wrong. You must always evaluate if you are doing what is best for them and not just acting out of response to them inconveniencing you. I don't ever want to forget that. I want to strive to do what is best for her and if that takes some discipline on my part I will do it, but if it means some sacrificing of my expectations I also want to be willing to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment