Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Food Prep


Yesterday was a very productive day. I was so proud of my accomplishments that when I finished I decided to take pictures and make it into a blog entry. This is a picture of my refrigerator after I completed my food prep for the week.

Why did I need to prepare? Mostly because eating healthy here is a little less convenient than in the states, but at least you can get organic for less $ ;) And, what did I need to prepare? A lot of things that could have waited, but much of this preparation will ensure a healthy diet during this busy week.
First I went to work on the strawberries. We bought a whole kilo, which is about 2 pounds. So I had to wash them and cut the tops off. While I was doing that I put the chickpeas into a pot to boil. I bought raw chickpeas and I am so glad that I made this 195 tenge investment (about $1.50)
When I finished the strawberries, I moved onto the lettuce. I chopped about four heads of lettuce, rinsed it, spun it on my awesome salad spinner from aunt diana, let it dry for about an hour while I was prepping other stuff and then stuck it in ziplocks. I did take a quick break after I cut the lettuce to make a delicious strawberry salad. I knew I had tried something like it before so I just threw together what I thought might be in a strawberry salad and it turned out to be perfection on a plate.
It was so delicious that I did not take a picture because it was just too good, I chowed it all down before I even thought of taking a picture… Sorry. This picture is just a place holder, so you can find the recipe if you come here again. Believe me, there was lots more to it than just strawberries and lettuce.
Strawberry Salad:
  1. lettuce (spinach would be better, but we can’t get it here)
  2. A handful of strawberries sliced up
  3. 1/4 cup of sliced or chopped almonds
  4. a handful of feta cheese
  5. 1 small cucumber
Dressing:
  1. 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
  2. 1 tsp olive oil
  3. a pinch of salt & pepper
This recipes serves one person. The only thing that I might add to this salad to make it more of a dinner meal would be cooked chicken breast. Otherwise it was perfect, especially because I was ravenous at the time.
After lunch I hard boiled some eggs, the four at the back are the hard boiled ones. Then I went on to make granola, since it is the perfect addition to yogurt and a good break from eggs in the mornings. The granola was also pretty amazing.


I used a recipe that I got from a friend before I came overseas, but modified it a little bit to make it healthier:
  1. 4 cups Oatmeal
  2. 1  cup coconut
  3. 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  4. 1/2 cup chopped cashews & almonds
  5. 1 tsp cinnamon
  6. 1/2 cup raisins
  7. 1/4 cup honey
  8. 1/4 cup oil
  9. 1 tsp vanilla
Mix all dry ingredients together in a large EXCEPT raisins. Then mix in honey, oil & vanilla making sure all the dry bits are coated. Spread on two cake pans and bake @ 250-300F until slightly brown, stirring every once in a while. Add raisins. Ziplock it and save it for the rest of the busy week! 

After I finished the granola, I went to work cleaning the kitchen. I was so proud of myself for working so hard, so I rewarded myself with a bowl of granola topped with fresh strawberries :)  



The only problem now is that, this is all I want to eat. But today I resisted the urge to eat granola for lunch and modified this recipe for guyanese inspired chickpeas at my favorite food blog eat, live run.


No comments:

Post a Comment