Monday, May 30, 2011

A party in the making

We have been here for two years and we have had a total of 7 parties for our students. Last thursday we had our final party of the year to celebrate the student’s graduation from our 8 month program. It is quite an extensive program, so in my opinion, it requires quite an extensive celebration.
Since we have had so many parties and this is where my obsession with baking began, I thought that I would take you through the steps of what it takes to make one of these babies happen.
First I must make the Menu:
  1. Chips n’ Salsa
  2. Crackers, Cheese & Salami
  3. Chocolate Crackled Cookies
  4. Chocolate Chip Cookies
  5. Zucchini Bread 
  6. Carrot Cake
Then I make a shopping list and Curtis goes shopping! 



Yes folks! This is what it takes! A lot of food to feed about 50 students.
The next step is baking! Lots of baking! Last year I made every one of our parties happen without any help from our students, 4 parties later I wised up and started asking the girls from our classes to come help and things move a lot quicker now. Instead of a whole week to prepare a party, it only takes about two three hour days of baking and preparing with the girls to keep me company :)
This is one food prep area for grating the carrots and zucchini and also for cutting chunks of chocolate since they don’t have chocolate chips here.

This is the baking area for the more experienced girls ;)

After lots of hard work we came out with some pretty great looking and tasting food!
Then everyone eats the food and has a great time at the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment