Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Holiday Breakfast




Any excuse to make pancakes. But really, what is better on a holiday than sleeping in and eating a big breakfast? Even if it is not an American Holiday… No Monday morning meeting, no obligations. So, we made pancakes. I have been trying to use recipes from CookingLight lately and I was so jazzed this morning by how amazing these banana pancakes were.
I did modify the recipe a little bit, but I think it made them even better! The recipe calls for buttermilk, but I didn’t have any and when I looked on the internet for possible substitutions it told me to simply add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to 1 cup of milk and let it sit for about 5 minutes. I thought it sounded a little weird, but I tried it and the milk seemed to get thicker in that time and the recipe turned out perfect too :)


I added a couple other things to make these babies simply perfect. I added a 1/2 cup of oatmeal and also 1 teaspoon of Penzey’s Baking Spice which I got from Curtis’ Aunt Sabina. It is one of my new favorite things! You can use it instead of cinnamon, nutmeg or cloves to give your baked goods an extra kick. I normally would have added cinnamon and I think it would be a good choice if you can’t get your hands on this wonderful spice.

We topped our pancakes off with some beautiful strawberries, which, much to my satisfaction, are in season here now! I love it here in the spring! Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment